Indianapolis Sex Crimes Attorneys
Defend Your Rights & Reputation
The Criminal Defense Team has taken more than 1,000 cases to trial, including many that involved serious accusations of sex crimes. If you have been accused of sexually assaulting someone or committing another type of sex crime, then you should call (317) 565-2221 immediately. Your rights and reputation are in jeopardy, but we know how to defend them, no matter what the prosecution tries to throw at you.
On This Page:
- What is a Sex Crime in Indiana?
- What are the Penalties for Sex Crimes in Indiana?
- Different Types of Sex Crime Defenses
- What To Do If You Are Arrested for a Sex Crime in Indianapolis
- How Can Our Sex Crime Lawyers Help You?
- Indianapolis Sex Crimes FAQ
Don’t lose another day by not speaking up. Contact us online now to discuss your case with our Indianapolis sex crime lawyers.
What is a Sex Crime in Indiana?
A sex crime in Indiana can be defined as any illegal sexual activity against another person, which most often involves a lack of consent given by the alleged victim. The law can get complicated when interpreting what is and what is not a sexual act, though. Typically, if a reasonable person would have interpreted an act or behavior as one meant to sexually arouse someone, then it is a sexual act.
Different types of sex crimes include the following and more:
- Child molestation
- Sexual misconduct with a minor
- Possession of child pornography
- Sexual battery
What are the Penalties for Sex Crimes in Indiana?
Prosecutors in Indianapolis and adjacent counties are notorious in legal circles for tenaciously pursuing sex crime convictions. If you have been accused of a sex crime in Indianapolis, then you need to know that the state will probably try to use the full extent of its resources in trying to convict you. We will aggressively fight the allegations to get you the best outcome possible.
Sex crimes in Indiana are all felony charges and all require registration as a Sex Offender. If convicted, the State will typically pursue a sentence that involves prison and/or Community Correction and Probation time. To help protect yourself from undue harsh punishment, let us stand up for you.
Possible felony sex crime incarceration penalties in Indiana can include:
- Level 1 felony: 20 to 40 years in prison
- Level 2 felony: 10 to 30 years in prison
- Level 3 felony: 3 to 16 years in prison
- Level 4 felony: 2 to 12 years in prison
- Level 5 felony: 1 to 6 years in prison
- Level 6 felony: 6 to 30 months in prison
Additionally, each felony sex crime conviction in Indiana can include a $10,000 fine paid to the state and mandatory sex crime registration. In this way, a sex crime conviction can ruin your finances by slamming you with steep fines and making it difficult to find housing and gainful employment.
Different Types of Sex Crime Defenses
Defendants facing sex crime charges in Indiana have several options when it comes to mounting a legal defense. You can explore those options with our Indianapolis sex crime defense attorneys.
Common defenses used in sex crimes cases include:
- Consensual activity: If the alleged sexual activity was consensual and both parties were willing participants, the defendant may be able to argue that they did not commit a crime. Sometimes, it is possible to argue that the defendant was reasonably led to believe the sexual activity was consensual, even if the alleged victim testifies that it was not.
- Mistaken identity: If the defendant was wrongly identified as the perpetrator of a sex crime, they may be able to use mistaken identity as a defense. This could occur if the alleged victim was unable to clearly identify the defendant, or if there is evidence to suggest that someone else committed the crime, like unclear DNA evidence.
- Lack of evidence: A skilled defense attorney may be able to exploit a lack of evidence against their client. For instance, if prosecutors are unable to produce DNA evidence or eyewitness testimony that clearly links the defendant to the crime, their case may be weakened.
- False allegation: If an individual made the allegation up for revenge, jealousy, or in an attempt to gain child custody or otherwise get an advantage it is imperative to fully investigate the motivation for the false allegation. In this situation, you need an experienced attorney that understands how to get to the truth.
What To Do If You Are Arrested for a Sex Crime in Indianapolis
If you are arrested for a sex crime in Indianapolis, it is crucial to take immediate action to protect your rights and build a strong defense. Here are the key steps to consider:
- Remain silent and request an attorney: Exercise your right to remain silent and avoid providing any statements to law enforcement without an attorney present. Request legal representation as soon as possible to ensure your rights are safeguarded.
- Do not consent to searches: Refrain from consenting to any searches without the advice of your attorney. Protecting your privacy is important during the legal process.
- Contact a skilled sex crime defense attorney: Seek the assistance of our experienced sex crime defense attorneys who can provide guidance tailored to your specific case. They will protect your interests, investigate the charges, gather evidence, and develop a strong defense strategy.
- Preserve evidence: If you have any evidence that may support your defense, such as text messages, emails, or witness statements, make sure to preserve them and share them with your attorney.
- Follow legal procedures and court appearances: It is essential to comply with all legal procedures and court appearances. Missing court dates can result in additional penalties and complications.
- Maintain confidentiality: Keep the details of your case confidential and avoid discussing it with anyone other than your attorney. This will help protect your defense and ensure the integrity of the legal process.
How Can Our Sex Crime Lawyers Help You?
An Indianapolis sex crimes lawyer can provide critical legal support and guidance while you are facing serious criminal charges.
Several ways that our team can help achieve a positive outcome in your case are:
- Case dismissals: We may be able to exploit weaknesses in the prosecution's case, such as a lack of evidence or procedural errors, to persuade the court to dismiss the charges. If the charges are dismissed, then you won’t face any criminal penalties and can move forward with your life without the stigma of a criminal conviction.
- Reduced charges: In some cases, a prosecutor may be willing to negotiate with the defense attorney to reduce the charges. This could result in significantly reduced penalties, such as avoiding the need to register as a sex offender.
- Not-guilty verdicts: If the case goes to trial, we can work to build a strong defense strategy that focuses on proving that you are not guilty.
If you're facing sex crime charges in Indianapolis or the surrounding area, it's crucial to work with an experienced sex crimes lawyer who understands the nuances of Indiana sex crimes law.
Contact our law firm today to schedule a free initial consultation and see how our Indianapolis sex crime lawyers can help you fight the charges against you.
“We would recommend the Criminal Defense Team to anyone.” - Vicki
“This is Mr. Andrew Baldwin’s specialty and he knows his stuff!” - Donita
“I feel they genuinely care about others and work together quite well as a team.” - Brandon