Indianapolis Gun Charges Lawyer
Charged with a Firearm Offense in Indianapolis, IN?
If you are facing gun charges, you need a strong defense as soon as possible. At The Criminal Defense Firm, our Indianapolis gun crimes lawyers have more than 90 years of collective experience in criminal matters and can help you fight your charges. We have handled thousands of cases and have a deep understanding of the criminal justice system.
What is a Firearm Crime?
In Indiana, gun charges usually involve violations of state laws related to the possession, use, and carrying of firearms. Firearm charges in Indiana can range from minor offenses to serious felonies, each carrying its own set of penalties.
The following are the common types of gun charges in Indiana:
- Carrying a Handgun Without a License (CHWL): It is generally illegal for criminal convicts, undocumented immigrants, the mentally institutionalized, and individuals under 18 years old to carry a handgun in public without a valid handgun license (also known as a carry permit). This offense is a Class A misdemeanor, which carries a maximum jail term of one year and a fine of no more than $5,000.
- Possession of a Firearm by a Felon: If a person with a prior felony conviction possesses a firearm, they may be charged with this offense, which is a Level 4 felony that carries a maximum prison sentence of 12 years and fines of up to $10,000.
- Possession of a Firearm on School Property: It is usually unlawful to possess a firearm on the property of a school, including within school buildings, without proper authorization. This offense is a Class A misdemeanor.
- Reckless Possession of a Firearm: If someone recklessly possesses a firearm in a manner that endangers others, they might face charges. Criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon is a Level 6 felony, punishable by imprisonment for up to two-and-a-half years and a maximum fine of $10,000.
- Straw Purchasing: This involves buying a firearm on behalf of someone who is prohibited from owning one, such as a felon. Both the purchaser and the person for whom the firearm was purchased can be charged with a Level 5 felony, punishable by imprisonment for up to six years and a maximum fine of $10,000.
- Illegal Sale or Transfer of a Firearm: Selling or transferring a firearm without following proper legal procedures can be charged as a Level 5 felony.
- Possession of a Firearm with an Altered Serial Number: Possessing a firearm with an altered or removed serial number can be charged as a Level 5 felony.
Choose a Dedicated Indianapolis Gun Crimes Lawyer
When facing firearm charges in Indiana, the stakes are high. A conviction can lead to severe penalties, including incarceration, fines, and a tarnished criminal record. It's essential to act swiftly and decisively by enlisting the help of an experienced Indianapolis gun crime lawyer from The Criminal Defense Team.
Here's why our firm stands out:
- Experience: Our team of seasoned Indianapolis gun crime lawyers has a deep understanding of Indiana's firearm laws, as well as federal regulations. We have successfully handled numerous firearm cases, achieving favorable outcomes for our clients.
- Strategic Defense: We develop a customized defense strategy tailored to the specific circumstances of your case. Whether it's challenging evidence, negotiating with prosecutors, or preparing for trial, we have you covered.
- Legal Knowledge: Our attorneys are well-versed in Indiana's firearm statutes, ensuring that every legal avenue is explored to protect your rights and minimize potential consequences.
- Aggressive Advocacy: We are committed to fighting tirelessly on your behalf. Our goal is to secure the best possible outcome, whether that's a reduction of charges, dismissal, or an acquittal at trial.
- Personalized Attention: We understand that every case is unique. We provide personalized attention, keeping you informed at every stage of the legal process and answering any questions you may have.
- Local Presence: As a trusted part of the Indianapolis community, we are familiar with local courts, judges, and prosecutors. This insight helps us navigate the legal landscape more effectively.
The Criminal Defense Team is here to provide aggressive and dedicated representation for individuals charged with gun crimes. We understand the complexities of firearm laws in Indiana and are committed to protecting your rights throughout the legal process.
“We would recommend the Criminal Defense Team to anyone.” - Vicki
“This is Mr. Andrew Baldwin’s specialty and he knows his stuff!” - Donita
“I feel they genuinely care about others and work together quite well as a team.” - Brandon