Indianapolis Drug Trafficking Attorney
At The Criminal Defense Team, we stand as unwavering advocates for individuals facing one of the most formidable legal challenges in Indianapolis, drug trafficking charges. We understand that accusations of drug trafficking can be life-altering, bearing the potential for severe consequences that include lengthy prison sentences and substantial fines. With our steadfast commitment to justice, our team of experienced Indianapolis drug trafficking attorneys are dedicated to defending the rights and futures of those accused. We recognize that every case is unique, and we approach each with an unwavering commitment to crafting tailored defense strategies that align with the intricacies of the law and the circumstances of our clients.
As staunch proponents of the presumption of innocence, we are here to stand by your side, challenge the evidence against you, and tirelessly advocate for the best possible outcome, ensuring your voice is heard in the halls of justice. When your future is on the line, trust The Criminal Defense Team to be your unwavering shield against the storm of drug trafficking allegations in Indianapolis.
Contact our Indianapolis drug trafficking lawyers today for a free initial consultation!
What Qualifies as Drug Trafficking in Indiana?
In Indiana, drug trafficking is governed by state and federal laws. The Indiana Code, specifically IC 35-48-4-1, defines drug trafficking as knowingly manufacturing, delivering, financing the manufacture or delivery, or possessing with the intent to manufacture or deliver a controlled substance.
It is a federal and state crime in the United States and is taken very seriously by law enforcement agencies. The severity of drug trafficking charges often depends on various factors, including the type and quantity of drugs involved, the defendant's criminal history, and the presence of aggravating circumstances.
Common Types of Trafficked Drugs
Drug traffickers often deal in a variety of controlled substances. Some of the most commonly trafficked drugs in Indiana include:
- Cocaine: Cocaine is a powerful stimulant drug that is frequently trafficked in both powder and crack form.
- Heroin: Heroin is an opioid drug that is highly addictive and poses significant risks to public health.
- Methamphetamine: Methamphetamine, commonly known as meth, is a synthetic stimulant that is often trafficked in both crystal and powder forms.
- Marijuana: While the possession and sale of marijuana have been decriminalized to some extent in Indiana, trafficking large quantities can still result in serious charges.
- Prescription Medications: Illegally distributing prescription medications, such as opioids or benzodiazepines, is considered drug trafficking when done without a valid prescription.
Drug Trafficking Penalties in Indiana
The penalties for drug trafficking in Indiana are severe and can vary depending on several factors, including the type and quantity of drugs involved.
Dealing in a Narcotic Drug, Methamphetamine, or a Schedule I or II Controlled Substance (Level 2 Felony)
- Prison Sentence: A conviction for dealing in a narcotic drug, methamphetamine, or a Schedule I or II controlled substance is classified as a Level 2 felony. The potential prison sentence ranges from 10 to 30 years.
- Fines: Individuals convicted of this offense may face fines of up to $10,000.
Dealing in a Schedule I, II, or III Controlled Substance (Level 3 Felony)
- Prison Sentence: Dealing in a Schedule I, II, or III controlled substance is considered a Level 3 felony. Conviction can lead to a prison term ranging from 3 to 16 years.
- Fines: Individuals may be subject to fines of up to $10,000 upon conviction.
Dealing in a Schedule IV Controlled Substance or Certain Schedule V Substances (Level 4 Felony)
- Prison Sentence: Dealing in a Schedule IV controlled substance or specific Schedule V substances is categorized as a Level 4 felony. The potential prison sentence ranges from 2 to 12 years.
- Fines: Convicted individuals may face fines of up to $10,000.
Dealing in Marijuana (Level 6 Felony)
- Prison Sentence: Dealing in marijuana can result in Level 6 felony charges for amounts less than 10 pounds. The potential prison sentence for a Level 6 felony is 6 months to 2.5 years.
- Fines: Individuals convicted of dealing in marijuana may face fines of up to $10,000.
Dealing in Marijuana (Level 5 Felony)
- Prison Sentence: If the quantity of marijuana involved exceeds 10 pounds, the offense can be classified as a Level 5 felony. A Level 5 felony carries a potential prison term of 1 to 6 years.
- Fines: Convicted individuals may be subject to fines of up to $10,000.
Enhanced Penalties for Drug Trafficking Near Schools or Parks
Drug trafficking offenses committed within 1,000 feet of a school, park, or housing complex can lead to enhanced penalties. This can result in higher-level felony charges and increased prison sentences.
Defenses for Drug Trafficking Charges in Indiana
Facing drug trafficking charges can be daunting, but there are legal defenses available. It's crucial to consult with an experienced attorney who can assess your case and develop a tailored defense strategy.
Some common defenses include:
- Unlawful Search and Seizure: If law enforcement violated your Fourth Amendment rights by conducting an illegal search or seizure, evidence obtained may be suppressed, leading to a dismissal of charges.
- Lack of Intent: Proving that you did not have the intent to distribute the drugs can be a viable defense in some cases.
- Insufficient Evidence: Challenging the prosecution's evidence and questioning its reliability can weaken the case against you.
- Entrapment: If law enforcement induced you to commit a drug trafficking offense that you would not have otherwise committed, an entrapment defense may apply.
- Medical Necessity: In some cases involving prescription medications, a medical necessity defense may be applicable if you can prove that you had a legitimate medical reason for possessing or distributing the drugs.
“We would recommend the Criminal Defense Team to anyone.” - Vicki
“This is Mr. Andrew Baldwin’s specialty and he knows his stuff!” - Donita
“I feel they genuinely care about others and work together quite well as a team.” - Brandon
Without a doubt, it is crucial to hire an experienced attorney when facing drug trafficking charges in Indiana. The consequences of a conviction are severe, and an attorney can provide invaluable assistance in several ways:
- Legal Expertise: An attorney can assess the evidence against you, identify weaknesses in the prosecution's case, and craft a solid defense strategy.
- Negotiation Skills: Experienced attorneys can negotiate with prosecutors to potentially reduce charges or secure a favorable plea bargain.
- Protecting Your Rights: Your attorney will ensure that your rights are protected throughout the legal process and that law enforcement did not violate your constitutional rights.
- Providing Guidance: Your attorney will guide you through the complex legal system, helping you make informed decisions about your case.
- Reducing Penalties: In some cases, an attorney may be able to secure a more lenient sentence or alternative sentencing options, such as drug rehabilitation programs.
Get Aggressive Defense for Drug Trafficking Charges
Drug trafficking charges in Indianapolis, IN, are serious and can have life-altering consequences. The Criminal Defense Team is here to help you navigate the legal process, protect your rights, and provide you with the best possible defense. If you or someone you know is facing drug trafficking charges, do not hesitate to seek experienced legal representation. Your future may depend on it.
Contact our Indianapolis drug trafficking lawyers today to discuss your case in a free initial consultation and explore your legal options.