Indianapolis Drug Attorneys
Defending Against Drug Crime Charges
Drug crimes are harshly prosecuted, even though the consequences of those related criminal violations are often mild. You might be completely blindsided by the prosecution’s aggression when pursuing what seems like a simple drug possession charge. What can you do to protect yourself from the charges and the penalties that they might bring?
To start, call (317) 565-2221 and connect with the Indianapolis drug crime lawyers of The Criminal Defense Team. We bring decades of collective defense experience to every drug crime case that we handle. Let us build a powerful and strategic defense that keeps the prosecution guessing.
On This Page
- Types of Drug Crimes
- Indiana Drug Classifications
- Possible Drug Crime Penalties
- What Sets The Criminal Defense Team Apart
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Is marijuana legal in Indiana?
- Is it illegal to own a drug but not use it?
- Are drug charges a misdemeanor?
Contact us online today for more information about drug crime defense.
We know how to build a strong defense case for virtually any drug crime. No matter why you were arrested and charged, you can depend on us to be there to protect you from the worst that the law and the state can do.
Common drug crime charges that we defend against include:
- Drug possession: Owning or holding an illegal narcotic can result in a drug possession crime. Possession can also include being in control of the substance. For example, you can be charged with possession if an illegal drug is found in your vehicle, even when you are not in the vehicle when it is found. It might not seem like a big deal on paper, but these charges can bring heavy penalties.
- Drug distribution: You can be charged with drug distribution if you “deal” or sell drugs unlawfully. This charge can cover the distribution of strictly illegal narcotics, as well as the illegal distribution of legal drugs, such as handing prescription medicine to someone who is not on the prescription. It is more serious than drug possession and usually carries harsher penalties.
- Drug manufacturing: Even more intensely prosecuted than drug distribution is the drug crime of drug manufacturing or the creation of a controlled substance through unlawful channels. You can be charged with this offense if the means to manufacture drugs are found in your control but the drugs themselves are not. The charges will be heightened if you allegedly manufactured and distributed drugs.
- Marijuana charges: It is illegal to possess recreational marijuana in any amount if that marijuana contains more than 0.3% THC content. The base charge will be a misdemeanor, which can still result in jail time.
Indiana follows the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) guidelines for drug and controlled substance schedules. This system arranges narcotics and drugs into different schedules, loosely based on their known medical uses and risks of addiction. The higher a drug is on the schedule tier, the worse the charges can be brought against a potential offender for possessing, distributing, or manufacturing that drug.
The Indiana drug schedule is divided into these tiers:
- Schedule I: Includes marijuana, heroin, fentanyl, and more
- Schedule II: Includes cocaine, oxycodone, morphine, and more
- Schedule III: Includes LSD, anabolic steroids, dronabinol, and more
- Schedule IV: Includes diazepam, tramadol, Ambien, and more
- Schedule V: Includes small amounts of codeine, dihydrocodeine, and opium, and others
The conviction penalties that you could face for a drug crime will depend entirely on the specifics of that crime. As your chosen Indianapolis drug crime defense attorneys, part of our job will be to make sure that the potential sentencing requirements you face will be minimized. Ideally, though, we will be able to end your case without a conviction at all.
The penalties for a drug crime in Indiana can include:
- Incarceration: Up to 180 days in jail for Class B misdemeanors; up to 40 years in prison for Level 1 felonies.
- Fines: Up to $1,000 for Class B misdemeanors; up to $10,000 fines for Level 1 felonies.
You have your choices when it comes to hiring a drug crime defense attorney. Why should you come to The Criminal Defense Team in Indianapolis first? We think the answer is clear once you know just a little more about us.
Our team is highly experienced and has a long track record of success. What’s more, five of Indiana’s six Board-Certified Criminal Law Specialists are on The Criminal Defense Team. Board Certification is only awarded to attorneys who can pass a notoriously difficult exam that tests the full extent of their legal knowledge. In other words, our Board-Certified Criminal Law Specialists* areexperts at what they do, which most other criminal lawyers in the state can’t say.
Need Strong Defense? Call Our Firm
Don’t let a drug charge against you get out of hand. Take action now to defend yourself, your future, and your finances by teaming up with The Criminal Defense Team. Our Indianapolis drug attorneys are always standing by to hear from new and returning clients who need our professional help and legal protections.
Speak with our team by dialing (317) 565-2221 now.
“We would recommend the Criminal Defense Team to anyone.” - Vicki
“This is Mr. Andrew Baldwin’s specialty and he knows his stuff!” - Donita
“I feel they genuinely care about others and work together quite well as a team.” - Brandon