Franklin, IN Drug Attorneys
Many people who are arrested for low-level drug crimes like possession often assume that they won’t face a harsh prosecution because the crime was nonviolent. Unfortunately, the opposite is often the truth. Prosecutors try to lock in drug crime convictions to build their résumés. Some judges even argue that drug crimes are “gateway crimes” to worse actions, so it is important to use heavy conviction sentences.
Don’t let the criminal justice system walk all over your rights after you are accused of a drug crime. The Criminal Defense Team in Franklin, Indiana is here to make sure you know the extent of your rights, as well as how to use them to the fullest. You deserve a fair chance at proving your innocence or showing that the prosecution doesn’t have the grounds to win the case.
On This Page
- Why Pick The Criminal Defense Team?
- Defense for Any Drug Crime
- What are DEA Drug Schedules?
- Drug Crime Sentencing in Franklin, Indiana
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Is recreational marijuana illegal in Indiana?
- Will my drug charges be a felony?
- Can the police search my vehicle for drugs?
Dial (317) 565-2221 or contact The Criminal Defense Team online now .
You could have many choices when it comes to choosing who will defend you against harsh drug charges. Why should you pick The Criminal Defense Team? We think the answer is obvious once you learn a little more about us.
People trust their drug crime defense cases to us because:
- We have five of Indiana’s six Board-Certified Criminal Law Specialists* on staff.
- We have more than 120 years of combined criminal law experience.
- We are highly rated by past clients.
- We focus entirely on criminal defense – no distractions.
When you are accused of a drug crime, you know that you can come to The Criminal Defense Team for legal counsel and representation right away. Thanks to our extensive experience with criminal defense and drug crime cases, we know that we can work on your case, no matter its details and complications.
We can defend against all sorts of drug crime charges, such as:
- Possession: Possessing an illegal drug or having control of the substance is grounds for a drug possession charge, which can be a felony in some situations.
- Distribution: Drug distribution charges are filed against people who are accused of selling or giving away illegal substances to others.
- Manufacturing: You can be charged with drug manufacturing or cultivation if the state believes you were making or growing illegal substances to use or distribute.
- Marijuana charges: Indiana has not decriminalized most recreational marijuana. Even owning marijuana paraphernalia is illegal.
The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) organizes all narcotics and controlled substances into schedules. The higher the schedule is on this list, the steeper the penalties can be for crimes related to it. Indiana follows the DEA’s schedule when prosecuting drug crimes.
DEA drug schedules include:
- Schedule I: Includes marijuana, heroin, fentanyl, and more
- Schedule II: Includes cocaine, oxycodone, morphine, and more
- Schedule III: Includes LSD, anabolic steroids, dronabinol, and more
- Schedule IV: Includes diazepam, tramadol, Ambien, and more
- Schedule V: Includes small amounts of codeine, dihydrocodeine, and opium, and others
As mentioned, Indiana does not take drug charges lightly. Typically, the state will use the steepest charges possible when prosecuting drug crime defendants. When you hire our Franklin drug crime defense attorneys, we will do everything that we can to prevent the state from convicting you, which could include a case dismissal.
In some situations, when the evidence of a drug crime is overwhelming, it might make sense to work towards a plea deal that reduces the sentencing requirements as much as possible. We know how to argue that it is better for you and society to keep you out of prison, so you can improve your situation.
If you are convicted of a drug crime in Indiana, you could be penalized with:
- Up to 40 years in prison for a Level 1 felony; or,
- Up to 180 days in jail for most misdemeanors; and,
- Fines ranging from $1,000 to $10,000.
Start a Drug Crime Defense Today
The Criminal Defense Team is ready to stand up to the prosecution when you’ve been accused of a drug crime in Franklin, Indiana. A good defense can start right away, but you have to let us help you.
Please call (317) 565-2221 now to connect with our drug crime lawyers.
“We would recommend the Criminal Defense Team to anyone.” - Vicki
“This is Mr. Andrew Baldwin’s specialty and he knows his stuff!” - Donita
“I feel they genuinely care about others and work together quite well as a team.” - Brandon